You know all those kind of superpowers: super strength, super healing, lasers shooting out from one’s eyes and the list goes on. But if there’s one superpower that you can actually have, or at least close to becoming real at least in some instances, that would be sleep manipulation.
Yes, you read it right: Sleep Manipulation and other powers concerning Sleep (heck it’s even on the title). Of course you probably have heard of good old psychological Hypnosis, Kung-fu, Tai Chi (insert other oriental martial arts technique here) move that blocks chi points, forcing the target to go to sleep, so we won’t talk about those things.
Sleep Manipulation is unique psychic ability that is seen on a number of superheroes and fictional characters:
1. Enoch (Ben 10) – Enoch is powerful commanding officer of Forever Knights in the hit cartoon series Ben 10. He is depicted as a classic medieval knight with special powers in influencing and controlling all aspect of sleep. That’s one scary knight if you ask me.
2. Jones (X-Men) – Jones is a young boy and he is a mutant, he is depicted in the movie X-Men as the boy who can control the TV remotely simply by blinking. We’re not sure about the extent of his powers, but as it turns out, that boy never sleeps. If you can remember the film, he is the boy that Logan (Wolverine) saw in one of the rooms moments before General Striker attacked the institute. Of course, if you’re not a mutant, not sleeping has some serious health disadvantages.
3. Gaara (Naruto) – Gaara, one of the most powerful ninja in the series is able to use the jutsu (technique) Feigning Sleep Technique or Tanuki Neiri no Jutsu. It’s a special technique that puts the user (himself) to sleep in exchange of a very powerful and in this case scary outcome. Gaara uses this technique to transform into the powerful beast: Shukaku.
4. Gengar (Pokemon) – Gengar is just one of the many pokemons in the series that has powers involving sleep. He can induce a target to fall into sleep by the move Hypnosis, and he can “eat” what the target dreams via move called Dream Eater. Although pokemon targets young kids, this combination of move is really scary. True enough the idea where a creature induces a target to sleep and eats or ravels on their dream (nightmare) is present in other mythologies throughout Asia.
5. Doctor Destiny (Justice League) – Doctor Destiny or Destiny for short is a powerful supervillain in Justice League series. He has extensive medical knowledge, but what’s scary about him is his ability on sleep manipulation. He is so powerful that he was able to take control of the entire Justice League team on their sleep, leaving only Batman and J’onn to save the others.
6. Sleepwalker (Marvel / SHIELD) – Since he is a member of SHIELD, we might soon find him in the Avengers movie franchise. Sleepwalker is an alien who has superhuman strength (of course he is an alien) and durability, enhanced agility, superb reflexes, levitation capability and others. The important thing, he is immune to sleep techniques. That means that the evil guy above won’t stand a chance against him. That’s one point for Marvel, and one point too for tempurpedic bed manufacturers because even if this guy doesn’t use bed to sleep, he’s still a guy. Get it?
7. Freddie Kuger (A Nightmare on Elm Street) – He is probably one of the scariest character ever created. He enters your dream and kills you in a very brutal and graphic manner. The A Nightmare on Elm Street movie series is a total classic, a favorite of many. Heck, children (and even some adults) are still scared of him.
This article probably missed a lot, so now’s your chance. Share in the comments characters with amazing sleep superpowers!
Kim Tyrone Agapito of KimoftheWorld.com apart from being a Content Strategist is also a a fan of alternate universes, imaginary characters, animation and all those stuffs. He had a lot of fun writing this piece. Follow him on Twitter via @kimoftheworld.
If you enjoyed reading this post, then please remember to post a comment, Subscribe to my RSS feed.