It’s been a great year for films and I’ve had the chance to review a few of them, not all the films released in the year though, so as we are near the end of 2013, it’s time for my top 10 films of the year.
I have to say, it is a tough to pick just 10 films that I have really enjoyed and this list has some that didn’t even score that high in my ratings, but, I did enjoy them.
So where to start, I wasn’t sure whether to bring you a list of 10 in my favourite order or as they were released, then after careful consideration I decided to go in the order that the films were released, starting with the beginning of the year for number 1 and the end of the year with number 10.
Top 10 Movie Reviews on Blazing Minds in 2013
- The Impossible – This was heart-wrenching movie, based on a true story, and one which really started the new year a tear, a brilliant movie though and one that I still recommend today.
- Les Miserable – The musical version of the classic book that was made in to a stage play and which was strangely enjoyable, I never thought I would say that about a musical.
- Django Unchained – Tarantino, brought us a “Southern”, not a western, with it’s action, comedy (remember the bags scene?) and its bloody violence, Django was a massive success and cinema audiences were loving it.
- Flight – Denzel Washington as a pilot with a slight addiction, to say the least, saved a plane full of passengers, but there was more to the movie and it was a gripping drama.
- Vinyl – Local girl, Sara Sugarman, brought us a slice of nostalgia and filmed the film in Rhyl, just up the road from me, a great bit local cinema and a rather understated film for across the pond, but we loved it here at Blazing Minds HQ.
- Evil Dead – My doubts of a remake being any good and one of one of favourite movies, were quashed with the reboot of the Evil Dead, gory, funny and scary, plus the added bonus of Bruce Campbell, if you sat through the credits long enough!
- Iron Man 3 – The trilogy came to an end with what also seemed to be the final moment for Tony Stark, but with news that Iron Man was to be back in Avengers Assemble 2 and the added bonus of “Tony Stark will Return” at the end of the credits, it wasn’t all that bad!
- Pacific Rim – Although getting mixed reviews from many critics, I personally loved the movie, the mixture of Godzilla style creatures, Kaiju, going up against massive robots, Jaegers, was the ultimate mix of fun and 3D for me.
- Gravity – My first though for Gravity was, how can this film be interesting, two people stuck in space, how wrong was I to think that! The film was gripping from start to finish, I was on the edge of me seat throughout and the 3D was done in such a way, even I felt like I was spinning endlessly in space!
- The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug – How could I not end the list with the Christmas time movie that everyone had waited 12 months to see, The Hobbit (2), was a vast improvement on the first part, a faster flow, more going on and the greatest of movie dragons, Smaug himself, beautiful rendered in 3D and voiced by Benedict Cumberbatch.
So there you have it folks, that’s my Top 10 Films for 2013 that I’ve reviewed, in order of release date, it was hard just picking out 10 out of the ones I’ve seen in the last 12 months, but I hope you like the ones that I have chosen.
Now it’s over to you, what was you favourite film this year? Let us know in the comments and let us know why you liked it.