When it comes to having a lot of followers and friends on Twitter it can be daunting and that is why Twitter Lists are a must have addition.
Over the years that I’ve been using Twitter, the one thing that I always found was that having x amount of followers and x amount of people who you follow can be overwhelming when it comes to sifting through your timeline.
So having an option to create lists is an ideal way to keep on top of those tweets by those that are tweeting that you are friends with or even have an interest in seeing what they are tweeting about.[Tweet “Organise those important @Twitter users with easy to view #TwitterLists”]
What Are Twitter Lists
By using the lists you can create a collection of Tweeters in one handy place, Twitter has recently improved the lists and now you can have more than the limited 500 tweeple in a list, but let’s not have too many, otherwise it defeats the object.
I use my lists to keep an eye on a collection of people in certain niches, such as Movie and TV World, Verified Tweeters and Celebrities, so finding what there are tweeting about is a simple as viewing the list, very much like checking out your own timeline, but filtered to who is in your list.
How to Create a List
- Go to your Lists page. This can be done via the gear icon drop down menu in the top right navigation bar or by going to your profile page and clicking on Lists.
- Click Create list.
- Enter the name of your list, a short description of the list, and select if you want the list to be private (only accessible to you) or public (anyone can subscribe to the list).
- Click Save list.
Adding and Removing More People From Your List
- Click the gear icon drop down menu on a user’s profile.
- Select Add or remove from lists. (You don’t need to be following a user to add them to your list.)
- A pop-up will appear displaying your created lists. Check the lists you would like to add the user to, or uncheck the lists you’d like to remove the user from.
- To check to see if the user you wanted to add was successfully included in that list, navigate to the Lists tab on your profile page.
- Click the desired list, then click Members. The person will appear in the list of members.
Once you have added the twitter accounts to your lists you will see them listed in your app for your phone and on the Twitter website, allowing you to filter out a lot of the noise that is going on.
You are also able to add people to your lists even if you are not following them, which is a great advantage, if you would like to keep your numbers down, but still want to see what is happening.
Subscribing to Others Lists
Another advantage is being about to subscribe to a list created by somebody else, specially if it has people who you are interested in.
- Click on Lists when viewing someone’s profile.
- Select which list you’d like to subscribe to.
- From the list page, click Subscribe to follow the list. You can follow lists without following the individual users in that list.
Organising Your Twitter Lists
I have seen many different websites for managing lists on Twitter, but I have to say that I haven’t really come across one which is does a perfect job at all sides of running a list.
So in my point of view using Twitter itself is probably the best way to do your organising, such as removing and adding users, but I dare say there is one app out there which is perfect for the job.
Using You Android or Iphone
Having had an iPhone, up until recently, I always found it quite frustrating that I couldn’t add or remove users from a list via the iPhone app, after moving to an Android with my Nexus 7 and Samsung Galaxy, I now have the option to edit lists, in a crude way.
This is a great advantage when on the move, there is nothing worse than finding a tweeter that should be on a list and you can’t add them there and then, but the Android Twitter app allows me to add, remove and create lists.
Blazing Minds Takes Full Advantage of Twitter Lists
I’ve been using lists for a long time, having an ability to have more control over Twitter is a great way for me to check the latest news, movie releases and loads more, simply by having a collection of lists to view.
No more cluttering up my timeline and frantically looking for those interesting and informative tweets that are getting lost in a field of tweets!
Lets not forget that sometimes we have little time and being able to filter out a lot of the information that we are not interested in at the time is something that is very helpful.
So have you taken advantage of using the Twitter Lists yet? What do you use them for? Do you find them useful? Let me know I would love to hear your point of view.
Source – Twitter