Looking back over the last 12 months of the top rated films I’ve reviewed is going to be a tough one, mainly in picking out one film that I have enjoyed the most, I’ve reviewed nearly 90 films in 2012 with only seven of those getting top marks of 5 out of 5.
So breaking all those films down and picking my favorites is by no means an easy task, but I’ll try during this post in picking a few of my favorites from a rating from five to zero, with the worst being in the zero rating!
A Year In Film Reviews During 2012 With Blazing Minds
So let’s get on to the top rated films, as I mentioned earlier there are 7 films that I rated 5 out of 5, so it’s been quite tough picking my top 3 out of those films, but anyway, here we go:
Top Rated Films For 2012 Rated 5 out of 5 on Blazing Minds (7 Films)
- Life Of Pi – The latest film to get 5 out of 5, Life Of Pi is a visually stunning film, it’s a film that shows Hollywood can make great films from superb books. Putting a little bit of faith back in to the world of movie making
- Avengers Assemble – Oh you just knew that this was going to be here, being a fan of Marvel, I just couldn’t add the film that was a massive hit in 2012 and brought all the previous characters from the Marvel Movies in to one explosive action packed movie.
- Skyfall – James Bond made a triumphant return in Skyfall, a film surrounded in mystery during its production and once it was released it blew fans away with its use of story and action and the complete lack of stupid gadgets.
Top Rated Films For 2012 Rated 4 out of 5 on Blazing Minds (22 Films)
- The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey – Peter Jackson returned us to Middle Earth for the prequel to The Lord Of The Rings, although much was debated about why Peter Jackson has decided to add extra story to characters and to make the film in three parts, it was still a joy to watch, the only thing that let it down from getting full marks was the 3D was as good as expected!
- Prometheus – Ridley Scott brought us the possible start of Alien, there were many mixed emotions about Prometheus, some hated it and some loved it, although more questions arose during the film that answers given about the earlier Alien films, but still enjoyable.
- Cabin In The Woods – Great film for horror fans as we were treated with a bunch of teenagers stuck in a cabin with something sinister going on below, it was a case of spot the horror film as so many got a nod in this one 😉
Top Rated Films For 2012 Rated 3 out of 5 on Blazing Minds (30 Films)
- Rock Of Ages – Tom Cruise was a surprise in this adaptation of the Broadway musical, playing the part of a fading rock star, the film was one that had you singing all the rock songs at the top of your voice, fun to watch and ideal for an excuse to sing-a-long.
- Safe House – Great action thriller that had me gripped from the very start and a really enjoyable yarn!
- The Sweeney – Tough film this one for audiences outside of the UK, as The Sweeney was a big TV series hit in the late 70s and trying to bring it back was a hard one, loved by some and despised by others, but a damn good Brit film all the same 😉
Top Rated Films For 2012 Rated 2 out of 5 on Blazing Minds (10 Films)
- What To Expect When You’re Expecting – Didn’t thing I’d enjoy this film, but it was a lot better than I’d anticipated
- Ghost Rider 2: Spirit Of Vengeance – How can I not have this in my list, staring my good friend Spencer Wilding in a role other than being plastered in prosthesis, not a bad film, but not the best!
- House At The End Of the Street – Slightly predictable, even though the twist was quite good, but sadly one of those films that just didn’t have the pull and shock value that I’d hoped it would have had!
Top Rated Films For 2012 rated 1 out of 5 on Blazing Minds (4 Films)
- The Watch – A right let down, the film had high hopes and was completely let down by the lack of any humour except for the odd adolescent joke thrown in now and again for the teenage boys!
- Chernobyl Diaries – Sadly for this film, it had all been done before, the shaky cameras, loud bangs, things that are there and then aren’t, Chernobyl Diaries had promise and was sadly let down by its use of shock tactics that went out of fashion with The Blair Witch!
Worst Film Of 2012
Only one film here that got a zero rating, for being terrible, over hyped, a complete waste of my time and should be deleted from the archives of movie history, drum roll please for the worst film that I had to endure in 2012 …. The Devil Inside!
Moving on to 2013
So there we have it, now hopefully 2013 is going to get a lot better films, we’ve got Man Of Steel to look forward to, even though it is another one of those Hollywood reboots again and something I really can’t wait to see, Pacific Rim. It could be that 2013 is going to be a year of reboots and 3D conversions, but only time will tell how it all goes and I’ll be there reviewing them all 😉